Apr 3, 2009

SONY MDR-XD200, Studio Monitor Series Headphones Review

Today I went to Sony Style to look for headphones. I was looking for something priced less than RM100, to buy for my brother. My Altec Lansing headphone is still in good condition, I took extra care when using it since from previous experience my headphone never last long.

Sometime ago, I am using Philips. Bought it with a bargain price, RM80 before seeing it again in a fair and sold at RM140. Never thought the original price is that pricey. I sold it to a friend anyway. Its a good headphone, nice bass...just the treble is to sharp cutting through my ear. hahaha. I'm used to listen music at very high volume (even now)

Back to review, I bought this headphone with staff price at Sony Style at Jaya Jusco Tmn Equine. Looking for something with bass, but the guy there recommend me this gear as another one labeled "Super Bass" is just a super bass. Other sound is not satisfying as he himself using this headphone (pffttt...every seller using this sentence...I just not falling for it again).

So I bought MDR-XD200. Tested there using Sony MP3 player and as I was trying for bass music, went through quite a song and it was satisfying.



















MDR-XD200 has 40mm driver (normal headphone in this price range has 32mm driver), 3.5m chord, 70 ohm impedence (other headphone has 35 ohm, higher impedance is better for more power). Doesnt have volume control at the chord. Ear pad covers ear fully and very comfortable. Unfortunately, its not a noise cancelation phone even though it looks like a closed type phone. Its actually semi-closed. There is a bit gap at the pad leaking the sound. It has switch at side of earpad between movies and music (but the difference is hardly noticable).

When arrived home, first thing I tested was the bass (I'm a bass lover)...and I crash to pieces...

As I was using Philips Aurilium PCS805 usb soundcard, for speaker usage, I set the bass for max. When I plug in this headphone, the bass was very distorted. Afraid it would damage the driver I quickly stop the music. Even Wonder Girls - This Fool song also crashed like hell. It does not reach that bass level.

What I do is, minimize the bass equalizer setting until minimum and up the level bit by bit to check distortion level. After reaching the middle, its the maximum for this headphone. I just had to satisfy with that. The music sounds good after that. Listening to rich bass music, I can only turn up the volume to certain level - 40% or the sound will get distorted.

As for the treble, its really great. Crisp and sharp. Listening to Sweet Child of Mine and Yngwie Malmsteen is great. The guitar sound is crisp and nice. 

Tested watching movie Die Hard 4.0 and the sound for movie is really great (for headphone at this price range). Voice is clear and so does the background.

Conclusion:

Overall, the sound is nice. Its just that the bass is not reaching my expectation. This headphone would perfectly match to those looking for a good headphone for music and movies. Sounds is balance as the bass not overpower (but i look for something with very good bass). Maybe after hundred hour of usage the sound quality will improve. Will totally recommend this phone to anyone not looking for overpowering bass (you should look for other alternative for that purpose). This phone is considered low end and should not be considered audiophile material. Comparing it with other phone in higher price just not make sense. huhu~ 

Do pay more for whole lot better sound...but yet, price does not always speak the quality ;)

Pros:

- Very very very good sound quality

- need to turn very loud to distort (which is what I did firstly..ahahaha)

- long chord

- big earpad, comfortable to wear for long hours

- looks cool

Cons:

- should have better bass

- movie <-> music switch function is hardly noticable, in fact no changes at all

Rating: 7/10

-LB-

4 comments:

YusriAzri said...

lol..
aku pki mdr 300 je..
T____T

admin said...

mdr xd300 ka...itu lagi baru nye model...uhuhu
ke mdr v300..dua2 300..huhu
itu xd300 lagi sedap oh. lain spec sume lebey kurang je.huhu

Deeen said...

aku rasa OK je ngn aku nye XD200, cuma aku x suka dua benda, xde span kt atas kepala, kepala aku sakit bila pkai lama, dan 1 lg, build quality dia murah, plastik murah..
Quality bunyi bagus, buka kuat pon xde masalah, mmber aku nyer Philips SHS2500 slow gila..

admin said...

Memang quality bunyi bagus.dalam lingkungan harga dia rasa nya memang terbaik.plastik murah tak payah komen la kot.harga da murah.huhu